Unfortunately, they are the exception. Most chickens don’t like being held and furiously flap their wings and can kick, which risks an injury to the bird or to the handler. This unruly behavior can generally be avoided by using a simple technique:
- Once you have caught the chicken, gently but firmly grab the bird with both hands – one hand over each wing so she can’t flap her wings.
- Manipulate the bird so she is facing the opposite direction from you.
- Tuck her between your ribs and upper arm. This prevents flapping and helps keep the bird calm.
- She’ll still try to kick. This can be prevented by holding her legs between the fingers of the hand pinning her body between ribs and arm.
- This leaves your other hand and arm free to gently pet her, or part the feathers to search for parasites. You can also check the pelvis to determine when hens are about to begin to lay.
Ready to Enhance Your Chicken Keeping Experience? Discover Nutrena’s Premium Poultry Products Today! From specialized feeds that promote optimal egg production to innovative solutions for coop cleanliness and bird well-being, Nutrena has your flock’s needs covered. Take your chicken keeping to the next level and ensure happy, healthy hens. Learn more about Nutrena’s poultry products now and give your feathered friends the best care they deserve.