Learn what the most important components of a brooder are for raising baby chicks. From the types of brooder containers, to lighting, to bedding to use, you’ll know all the key tips to keep your chicks happy and healthy in the brooder.
- An old stock tank, plastic tote or cardboard box work well to hold the chicks and keep the heat in.
- Make sure heat lamp is secured.
- Both clear and red bulbs work fine. Red bulbs will reduce cannibalism.
- Chicks like to scratch in the feeder and will waste a lot of feed when they’re young.
- Use baby chick starter feed for the first 16 weeks.